Color Me Lovely Technique Sheet
|This ceramic bisque project is a wonderful balance of bold and subtle in one! Delicate flowers balance the heavy print to make a visually stunning piece.
Design courtesy of Bisque Imports
Trendy watercolors meet silk screening to create this lovely floral design.
2538 Rim Square Medium
8013 Art Tape Assortment (optional)
9598 Natural Sea Silk Sponge
CMC2oz Glaze Thickening Powder
CN033-8 Dark Butternut
CN142-8 Bright Aqua
CN262-8 Bright Grape
CN263-8 Dark Grape
CN292-8 Bright Purple
CN373-8 Dark Honeysuckle
CN384-8 Fruit Punch
CN512-8 Green Apple
SSDFL11 Lovely Flowers Silk Screen
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
INSTRUCTIONS 1. Lightly wipe ware with a damp sponge to prepare surface for painting.
2. Pour a quarter-sized amount of Bright Grape onto your palette. Add a pinch of Glaze Thickening powder to the underglaze color, then mix using a pallet knife until you reach a peanut butter consistency.
3. Position your floral silk screen design of choice onto the plate surface. If needed, use Art Tape to secure in place.
4. Dip your finger in the thickened Bright Grape mixture, and rub the color into the silk screen. Dab and smooth the paint as you work the color into the screen design.
5. Once completed, gently lift and remove silk screen and all art tape. Immediately rinse the silk screen off to remove any glaze. Allow paint to dry completely.
6. Repeat steps #2 - #5 to add another floral silk screen design to the plate surface using Dark Grape. Remove once complete.
7. In small cups or on your palette, dilute the assortment of underglaze paints with small amounts of water to create diluted color washes.
8. With a round brush, brush on your choice of color wash to fill in the various flower designs. Layer multiple color washes to create a watercolor effect.
TIP: For this project, we first painted the large flower with wispy brushstrokes using Dark Honeysuckle. Then, we layered Fruit Punch and Dark Butternut to add a layered color effect. To color the smaller flower designs, we used the same technique and added Bright Purple into the color combination. A final, Green Apple color wash was used to tint the stems of each flower design.
9. Allow floral designs to dry, then sketch "Love grows here" along the top area of the plate with a water-based marker. Trace letters with a detail brush and Dark Black. Let dry.
10. Sponge the rim of the plate with Bright Aqua using a Natural Sea Sponge.
11. Dip completed project in Pure Brilliance and fire to Cone 06.
| Click here to view and download the Image! || |
| Click here to download the Technique Sheet PDF! |