Design courtesy of Bisque Imports
Hello, adoraboo! This votive bag gets a spooky, funky touch from a mixture of techniques.
2103 Jack-O-Lantern Votive Bag
CN033-8 Dark Butternut
CN042-8 Bright Papaya
CN062 Bright Salsa
CN083-8 Dark Wine
CN213-8 Dark Taupe
CN262-8 Bright Grape
CN263-8 Dark Grape
CN504-8 Neon Orange
Assorted Royal Aqualon Brushes
Royal Aqualon Fan Brush No. 4
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
| || |
1. Lightly wipe ware with a damp sponge to prepare surface for painting.
2. Using a large and very damp brush dipped in Bright Grape, paint the outside of the bag to create a light wash. Let dry completely.
3. Using a pencil, outline each eye with distorted circles. Repeat this two more times. On each eye, you should be left with 4 sections.
4. Paint the section closest to the eyes with Dark Butternut, the second section Bright Papaya, the third section Neon Orange, and the last section Bright Salsa. For optimum coverage, paint 3-4 solid coats of each.
5. Outline each of the sections using a detail brush and Black.
6. In the bottom right corner, sketch a 1/2" circle. Then, sketch straight lines or "spokes" extending from that circle. Sketch curved lines between the spokes, connecting them in a spider web pattern. Using a detail brush, trace over the lines in Black.
7. Sketch a simple spider near the center of the web. Fill in with Black with a detail brush.
8. Paint each tooth using Dark Grape. Paint each eye using Dark Wine.
9. Dip a toothbrush into Dark Butternut. Flick the paint off of the bristles to speckle the sides and back of the votive. Repeat with Bright Salsa.
10. Bubble paint: In a small paper cup, mix equal parts soap, Dark Taupe, and water. Stir until you see bubbles forming. With a straw, blow into the mixture, making sure the cup remains in an upright position. Bubbles will begin to overflow, let these bubbles fall onto the surface of the piece. When the entire surface is covered, allow the bubbles pop on their own.
11. Dip a damp fan brush into Really White. Dip the brush, again, into the water. Brush across the entire piece to create a white wash.
12. Repeat step #10, including the inside of the votive. Let piece completely dry.
13. Dip in Pure Brilliance and fire to Cone 06.