Oh My Bloom Technique Sheet
|Pretty florals never go out of style. Create this design using silk screens, and a fun easy watercolor technique on our large square rim plate!
Design courtesy of Bisque Imports
Pretty florals never go out of style. Create this design using silk screens and a fun, easy watercolor technique!
2539 Rim Square Large
8013 Art Tape Assortment (optional)
9598 Natural Sea Silk Sponge
CN033-8 Dark Butternut
CN142-8 Bright Aqua
CN292-8 Bright Purple
CN373-8 Dark Honeysuckle
CN384-8 Fruit Punch
CN512-8 Green Apple
FD254 Black Licorice
SSDFL11 Lovely Flowers Silk Screen
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
INSTRUCTIONS 1. Lightly wipe ware with a damp sponge to prepare surface for painting.
2. Cut out the mason jar template. Position onto plate surface and trace its outline with a water-based marker.
3. Position the flower silk screen design of your choice onto the plate surface, above the mason jar. If needed, use Art Tape to secure in place.
4. Apply a small amount of Black Licorice to your palette. Dip your finger in the French Dimensions color, then rub the color into small areas of the screen image at a time. Dab and smooth the paint into the screen until all areas are filled with color.
5. Once completed, gently lift and remove the silk screen and art tape. Immediately rinse the silk screen off to remove any glaze.
6. Repeat steps #3 - #5 to add another floral silk screen design to the plate surface. Remove once complete.
7. In small cups or on your palette, dilute the assortment of underglaze paints with small amounts of water to create diluted color washes.
8. With a round brush, brush on your choice of color wash to fill in the various flower designs. Layer multiple color washes to create a watercolor effect.
TIP: For this project, we first painted the large flower with wispy brushstrokes using Dark Honeysuckle. Then, we layered Fruit Punch and Dark Butternut to add a layered color effect. To color the smaller flower designs, we used the same technique and added Bright Purple into the color mix. A Green Apple color wash was used to tint the stems and leaves of each flower design.
9. Allow floral designs to dry, then use a diluted Bright Aqua wash to paint the mason jar shape. Let dry.
10. Using a liner or script brush, add outline accents to the mason jar shape with 3 coats of Bright Aqua. Let dry.
11. Sketch "Bloom where you are planted" along the bottom area of the plate with a water-based marker. Trace letters with a detail brush and Dark Black. Let dry.
12. Sponge the rim of the plate with Bright Aqua using a Natural Sea Sponge.
13. Dip completed project in Pure Brilliance and fire to Cone 06.
| Click here to view and download the Image! || |
| Click here to download the Technique Sheet PDF! |