Design courtesy of Bisque Imports
Make the most of your different mediums by incorporating multiple techniques into one project!
952 6" Square Tile
BCASSTO-5 Opalescent Buffalo Chip Assortment
BIM106 Leafy Pebble Assortment (x4)
BIM123 Bloom Tile Assortment (x5)
BIM155 Rainforest Iridescent Mosaic Tiles 10 mm
BIM161 Passion Iridescent Mosaic Tiles 10 mm
BIM8010 Square Plaque - Md
BIM-White-8oz White Grout
BT-540-Roll Thinfire Paper Roll
CN253-8 Dark Black
CN272-8 Bright Jade
CN352-8 Bright Sapphire
CN506-8 Neon Coral
CN515-8 Neon Orange Sprinkles
OC5-96 Assorted Odd Cuts
SP-8234 Glas Tac
SG881 Glittering Silver Sparkler
ST340 1" Running Pliers
ST352 Pistol Grip Glass Cutter
ST356 Wheel Mosaic Nipper
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
Session 1: Paint bisque tile; build glass ladybugs, insects, and flowers
Session 2: Mosaic around traced spaces for glass/bisque
Session 3: Attach glass and bisque pieces to mosaic
Session 4: Grout mosaics and clean. Paint sides and back of mosaic panel
6" Square Tile : 1. Lightly wipe ware with a damp sponge to prepare surface for painting.
2. WIth a textured sponge, sponge the edges of the tile with Bright Jade. Repeat using Bright Sapphire.
3. With a pencil, sketch out your name in the top center of the tile. Trace over the letters with a detail brush and Dark Black. Accent with Concept colors of your choice.
4. Using a detail brush and a combination of Bright Jade, Bright Sapphire, Neon Coral, and Neon Orange Sprinkles, paint small flowers around the edge of the tile.
5. Dip in Pure Brilliance and fire to Cone 06.
Warm Glass Flowers : 1. Spread the Opalescent Buffalo Chip Assortment into small bowls for access to a variety of colors. Using safety gloves, find assorted colors and shapes.
2. Place a piece of Thinfire Paper on an unglazed 6" square tile.
3. Arrange glass pieces into a round floral shape. To adjust the size or width of pieces, gently nip the pieces using the Wheel Mosaic Nipper into a bowl. Create an overlap in the center by placing all the glass pieces close together.
4. Fasten the center of the flower by placing a chip on top of the space where the glass joins together.
5. Place on a piece of Thinfire Shelf Paper and write the child's name on the paper with a Silver Sharpie. Fire to a contour fuse using the 6-segment firing schedule.
Mosaic Message Board : 1. Attach Rainforest Iridescent tiles in a curving line below each glass flower, as the flower stem. Attach 2 leafy pebbles, as leaves, to the left and right of each Rainforest Iridescent stem.
2. Attach 5 dark blue Bloom tiles to the edge of the mosaic base, 4 at each corner and 1 in the top center.
3. Fill in the remaining area of the mosaic base with Passion Iridescent tiles. If needed, use a wheel mosaic nipper to cut tiles to a desired size.
4. Let your mosaic project dry for 24-48 hours. Once dry, following the grouting instructions to grout your project using White grout.
5. Use adhesive to attach the glass flowers near the top two corners of the mosaic base. Then, attach the 6" square tile at the bottom center of the mosaic base. Clean off any excess grout from your project. Paint the edges of the base with Cobalt Blue. Then, paint the surface of your mosaic project, around the 6" tile, with a coat of Glittering Silver Sparkler.
TIP: For added safety, create "Kid Friendly Glass" for children to use. By prefiring odd cuts and pieces of scrap, the edges will become round and smooth. Perfect for rummaging through bowls of design elements without the need for gloves (or bandages!) To fire, simply scatter glass on piece of Thinfire shelf paper. You can fire pieces alone, or overlap them for funky shapes. Then fire to a contour or full fuse. To make sure you have enough, scatter some in the empty spaces of your Thinfire each time you fire glass.