Tree of Life Technique Sheet
|Add a boost of color to your life with Carolina Frit! This warm glass plate will pop with an assortment of Carolina Frit; creating a whimsical tree of life!
Design courtesy of Bisque Imports
Add a boost of color to your life with Carolina Frit!
7752NB No Bake Metallic Ceramic Painter Pen Gold (optional)
CF130.8F Pale Blue Transparent Frit - Fine
CF161M Yellow Transparent Frit - Medium
CF171M Orange Transparent Frit - Fine
CF211.74F Chestnut Opalescent Frit - Fine
CF220.76M Dark Green Opalescent Frit - Medium
CF233F Turquoise Blue Opalescent Frit - Fine
CF526.2M Moss Green Transparent Frit - Medium
CF543.2F Grape Transparent Frit - Fine
CFBCBM Caribbean Blues Frit - Medium
CR300 Paint Pot Strip
GBC8-100 8 In. Circle Clear Transparent (2)
GM3002 Glass Medium
GS503 Gold Sparkle
SM9832 ZigZagRim Plate
SP-8234 Glas Tac
ST540 Thinfire Paper
Black Permanent Marker
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
1. Use an assortment of Carolina Frit to create the background image on one 8" clear base. Begin by forming large waves across the base with Turquoise Blue fine frit.
2. Along the bottom of the base, create a grassy mound using Moss Green medium frit and Dark Green medium frit.
3. Add bordering waves of Pale Blue fine frit along the Turquoise Blue frit waves.
4. Add small curves of Orange fine frit.
5. Fill in the remaining background area with Grape fine frit.
6. Accent with overlays of Yellow medium frit over the green and orange areas, and a small amount of Caribbean Blues frit over the blue and purple areas. Ensure frit level is at least 1/4" above the base layer to ensure full coverage.
7. Add a small amount of Glas Tac to the project to secure frit in place. Set aside to dry.
8. Position the printed template beneath the second 8" clear base and trace the design directly on the glass surface with permanent marker.
9. Use a cut angled straw to carefully fill in the tree design with Chestnut Brown fine frit. Secure with Glas Tac and allow project to dry.
10. Full fuse the two project bases together - tree design on top - using the 6 segment firing schedule.
11. Post-firing : Use a pallet knife to load a paint pot with a small amount of Gold Sparkle.
12. Mix in a small amount of Glass Medium into the paint pot until you achieve a thin peanut butter consistency. Start with a few drops of Glass Medium and add a little bit at a time as needed.
13. Use a detail brush and Gold Sparkle to add a whimsical outline around the tree image. Use the same color to add accent swirls and lines within the tree shape. Use the paintbrush to drop the paint onto the glass surface, then pull the paint along the desired outline. Maintain a thick consistency as you apply the paint.
14. Allow project to dry completely, then contour fuse using the 6 segment firing schedule.
TIP: Want to skip the second firing? Simply use a Gold Marabu Pen in place of painting Gold Sparkle to create the tree outline and accents. If you choose to slump your project, apply the Marabu Pen after slumping.
15. Once fired, slump project in the ZigZag Rim Plate mold.
| Click here to view and download the Image! || |
| Click here to download the Technique Sheet PDF! |