Design courtesy of Bisque Imports
It's always a good time for wine! Perfect for ladies night, this mosaic project combines several fun techniques.
5406 Plain Banner
BIM160 Royal Glow Iridescent Mosaic Tile
BIM72419 Wine Bottle Plaque
BIM70601-0002 Pink Cream Small Nibbles & Bits
BIM70603-0002 Light Blue Small Nibbles & Bits
BIM70606-0002 Dark Blue Small Nibbles & Bits
BIM70608-0002 Turquoise Nibbles & Bits
BIM70638-0002 Dark Iridescent Small Nibbles & Bits
BIM-White-8oz White Grout
CN081-8 Light Wine
CN213-8 Dark Taupe
CN253-8 Dark Black
RAA-5108 Cadmium Yellow
RAA-5114 Dark Ultramarine
RAA-5143 Cerulean Blue
ST356 Wheeled Mosaic Nipper
Paper Cup (x3)
Plastic Spoon (x4)
Small Disposable Container
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
To view our video on grout coloring, click here
1. Lightly wipe the rectangle banner with a damp sponge to prepare surface for painting.
2. Around the edge of the rectangle banner, paint a ruffled border using Light Wine.
3. With a pencil, in the center of the banner, sketch out "I'm not old...I'M VINTAGE." With a detail brush, trace over "I'm not old..." using Dark Taupe and "I'M VINTAGE" using Dark Black. Let dry.
4. Dip in Pure Brilliance and fire to Cone 06.
5. Once fired, use adhesive to attach the rectangle banner to the center of the wine bottle mosaic plaque.
6. Using the provided template as a guide, with a pencil sketch the design onto the mosaic base surface.
7. For the following steps, use the wheeled mosaic nipper to cut tiles to a desired size when necessary. Fill in each thin, curving line with Dark Iridescent bits.
8. Then, fill in the circular shape near the top of the wine bottle with Royal Glow Iridescent tiles.
9. In the bottle section of the mosaic base, fill in the area with Dark Blue bits.
10. Above the Dark Blue section, on the left, fill in the next large section using Turquoise bits.
11. To the left of the Turquoise section, fill in the area using Light Blue bits.
12. Above and to the left of the Light Blue section, fill in the section using Pink Cream bits. Continue working towards the top of the wine bottle plaque, using the same pattern, until all sections have been filled in with tiles.
13. Let your mosaic project dry for 24-48 hours. Then, follow the grouting instructions to grout your project using White grout. Remove any excess grout, let your project rest for 15-20 minutes, and then clean off any remaining grout on the tile surfaces. Now you're ready to add color to your grout.
14. Use a plastic spoon to mix Cadmium Yellow acrylic paint with water in a paper cup until you achieve a milky consistency. Use a paint brush to dab over the grout within and around the Royal Glow sun shape with the color wash.
15. Then, repeat the above mixture process to make a Dark Ultramarine color wash and a Cerulean Blue color wash.
16. Dab the Dark Ultramarine color wash over the areas filled in with the Dark Blue bits.
17. Dab the Cerulean Blue color wash over some of the areas filled in with Turquoise and Light Blue bits. Let your project dry.