Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
1. Lightly wipe ware with a damp sponge to prepare surface for painting.
2. Paint the top section of the tail using Cadmium Yellow. Using the same brush, paint a 1/2" stripe where the beak begins.
3. Mix 1 part Cadmium Red to 2 parts Cadmium Yellow. Then, using this color, paint the feet, the middle section of the tail, and a second 1/2" stripe on the beak following the first yellow stripe.
4. Paint the bottom section of the tail and also a third stripe on the beak using Naptholene Carmine.
5. Paint the body, except the wings with Dark Ultramarine.
6. Paint the feather on top of the head and the wings using Cerulean Blue.
7. Using Mars Black, paint the remaining end of the beak. Using a detail brush, outline the eyes, leaving a small circle within the black circle white.
8. Finish by painting thin back outlines where the tail, beak, and top feather meet. Paint small accent marks on the feet. Then, accent the wings by painting an outline and then painting swift, thin lines within the outline. Repeat this step on the top feather.