Assorted Royal Aqualon Brushes Contact Paper Detail Brush Scissors Water
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
Lightly wipe ware with a damp sponge to prepare surface for painting.
Big Diner Mug : 1. Cut a long rectangular strip of contact paper. Along one long edge of the strip, create a curvy edge.
2. Remove the protective backing, then adhere the contact paper strip - curvy edge down - around the rim of the mug.
3. Paint the outside mug surface with 3 coats of Caramel Swirl. Let dry.
4. Use an Aqualon Square Shader brush and 1-2 coats of Choccomo to create offset rows of rectangle brushstrokes resembling bricks.
5. Overlay scattered brick shapes with 1 coat of Strawberry Field. Overlay other scattered bricks with 1 coat of Caramel Swirl. Overlay the remaining brick shapes with 1 additional coat of Choccomo. Let dry.
6. Use a fine tip detail brush and Black Swan to lightly accent the edges of the brick shapes. Let dry.
7. Once dry, remove the contact paper strip to reveal the masked curvy rim around the mug.
8. Pour a small amount of Sweet Dreams onto your palette. Dip a damp brush into the paint, then use the diluted wash to outline the curved snowtop rim. Run over the outline with a clean, damp brush to further fade the color, if needed.
9. Use a damp sponge to wipe the area above the wash snowtop outline so that the color remains only along the curved line.
10. Paint the handle with 3-4 coats of Choccomo. Let dry.
Hanging Gnome : 1. Paint the face and chin with a detail brush and 3 coats of Creme De La Creme.
2. Dot each eye with Black Swan. Highlight with a small, Snow Queen dot.
3. Paint the eyebrows with a detail brush and Snow Queen.
4. Paint the hat, coat, pants, and gloves with 3 coats fo Strawberry Field. Leave the mitten cuffs unpainted white.
5. Paint the belt buckle with a detail brush and Sunny Tuscany.
6. Paint the remaining area of the belt with a detail brush and 2-3 coats of Black Swan, leaving two belt loops unpainted white with a Black Swan outline.
7. Paint the boots with 2-3 coats of Black Swan. Let dry.
8. Once complete, use Pure White French Dimensions as adhesive to firmly attach the Santa sidekick to the rim of the mug.
9. Dip in clear glaze and fire to Cone 06.
TIP: If preferred, the two pieces can also be glazed separately then attached prior to firing when loading the kiln.