Assorted Royal Aqualon Brushes Detail Brush Pop-Up Sponge Scissors Sharpie Water
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
1. Lightly wipe ware with a damp sponge to prepare surface for painting.
2. Draw a tie approximately 3.5" long on a pop-up sponge, then cut it out.
3. Paint inside of mug with 2-3 coats Dark Black.
4. Dip tie sponge in water so it expands;. Squeeze out excess water,
5. Starting on the left side, close to the handle, dip the tie sponge into Sunflower and gently press onto your mug. Rotate the sponge 180 degrees so the tie is upside down. Repeat all the way around the mug stamping vertically. If your tie extends beyond the edge of the mug, it's okay.
TIP: Practice pressing your sponge on a piece of paper or tile before applying it onto bisque so you can determine the right amount of pressure for the look you want.
6. Paint handle of mug with 2-3 coats of Light Grey.
7. Using a detail brush and Dark Black, outline ties, add patterns and accents.
8. Use a sponge and water to clean up any unwanted paint on the rim of the mug.