R2850-4Aqualon Fan Brush No. 4 (x5) Assorted Royal Aqualon Brushes Contact Paper Detail Brush Pencil Scissors Water
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
To view our video on ombre & masking with contact paper, click here.
1. Lightly wipe ware with a damp sponge to prepare surface for painting.
2. Cut out and trace the provided template onto contact paper. Cut then adhere to the surface of the ribbon. Firmly press around the edges of the template to smooth out any excess air bubbles.
3. Prepare your materials in order to achieve the Ombre look. You'll need 5 fan brushes--one for each color wash, and one to blend in between colors. You'll also want to have a water bowl handy.
4. Quickly paint the top 3'' of the ribbon with thick, horizontal strokes of Dark Pink. Move onto the next strip of color with Bright Pink, overlapping your first slightly. You want to do this quickly - the wetter the paint, the easier to blend the colors.
5. Repeat step four with Light Pink and Really White. Once you've covered the surface of the ribbon, dampen your fifth large fan brush. Quickly brush over the entire piece to blend the lines between colors. Repeat 3-4 times.
6. Once dried, carefully remove the contact paper cut-outs.
7. With a damp detail brush, outline the U.S. shape with one coat of Black.
8. Paint a flower headband on the woman's silhouette by first painting thin, Dark Ginger lines stretching across the forehead. Outline the woman's silhouette in Black. Let dry.
9. Paint small flowers on the Dark Ginger using Dark Grape, Bright Grape, Dark Honeysuckle, and Bright Aqua. Paint leaves with Bright Wintergreen. Paint a Dark Honeysuckle ribbon flowing from the back of the head where the Dark Ginger bands end. Accent with subtle, thin strokes of Black using a detail brush.
10. Around the top portion of the ribbon, sketch out whatever phrase or fact you'd like to feature. Paint the words in Black. Let dry.
11. Sketch whatever phrase or fact you'd like to feature on the Ribbon Tag-Along. With a detail brush and Black, trace over the words. Once dry, paint a line of Dark Honeysuckle dots in the remaining area. Attach the ribbon using French Dimensions as adhesive.