Assorted Royal Aqualon Brushes Painter's Tape (1/8" and 3/4")
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
1. Lightly wipe ware with a damp sponge to prepare surface for painting.
2. For the Charger and Salad plates: Using 1/8" painter's tape, tape a geometric design on the rim only. We used triangles with alternating stripes. Press down on the tape firmly. Cover the center using 3/4" painter's tape.
3. For the Dinner plate: Use 1/8" tape to create a geometric design in the center. We made an X, then taped horizontal and vertical stripes in each triangle.
4. For the Mug: Cover the top half and handles with 3/4" (or thicker) painter's tape. On the remaining bottom half, use 1/8" painter's tape to create a geometric design. Similar to the Charger and Salad plates, we created triangles by making first a zig-zag pattern. Then, alternate between horizontal and vertical stripes in each triangle.
5. For the Charger and Salad plates: First paint a thick coat using Bright Salsa around the rim. Directly next to the first coat, repeat using Bright Papaya. From there, paint a border using Bright Grey, and right where the rim meets the center, paint a thick bordering coat using Dark Taupe. Blend the colors together with a very damp large brush. Repeat this 3 times. TIP: Painting each coat quickly and thickly makes the blending process easier.
6. For the Dinner Plate: In the center, paint a border using Bright Salsa. Repeat the same process as above, with Dark Taupe in the very center of the square center. Repeat the blending process 3 times.
7. For the Dinner Plate: Once center is fully dry and painter's tape peeled off, use 1/8" painter's tape to create a small border. Use the same painter's tape to create alternating horizontal and vertical lines on each side. Cover any remaining surface with 3/4" or thicker painter's tape. Repeat the same blending process using the same colors.
8 For the Mug: Repeat the same blending process as above.
9. Again, let each piece dry completely before removing the painter's tape. Once removed, if needed, use the angular end of a Royal Aqualon brush to clean any edges or paint that has seeped beneath the painter's tape.
10. For the mug: Paint the inside using Bright Salsa. Paint the handle Bright Grey.
11. Dip each piece in Pure Brilliance and fire to Cone 06.