Flutterby Technique Sheet
|This adorable, hanging, glass butterfly project; will delight artists of all ages! Perfect for a gift, or to hang in your studio!
Design courtesy of Bisque Imports
This adorable hanging glass project will delight artists of all ages!
9505 Bag o Beads
CF100F Clear Transparent Frit - Fine
CF230.72C Medium Blue Opalescent Frit - Coarse
CF267.72C Sunflower Opalescent Frit - Coarse
GBITS100 Clear Transparent Bits
GBLOCK230-72 Medium Blue Opalescent Blocks
GBLOCK233-74 Turquoise Blue Opalescent Blocks
GBLOCK267-72 Sunflower Opalescent Blocks
GBLOCK2702 Orange Opalescent Blocks
GSLAB100 Clear Transparent Glass Slab
SP-8234 Glas Tac
ST340 1" Running Pliers
ST352 Pistol Grip Glass Cutter
ST356 Wheel Mosaic Nipper
ST540 Thinfire Paper
ST950 (17 gauge) High Temp Alloy Wire
Black Permanent Marker
Wire Cutter or Jewelry Pliers
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
1. On the Medium Blue Opalescent block, use a black permanent marker to sketch 2 oblong oval-shaped butterfly bodies. As you sketch each butterfly shape, refer to the provided template as a guide.
2. Use a Pistol Grip Glass Cutter to score around each each shape. Break along each score with the Running Pliers. Use a Wheel Mosaic Nipper or a 'Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦Ãƒâ€¦"" Breaker/Grozer to mold cut shape further, if needed. Position onto the glass as desired.
3. Sketch out 8 butterfly wing shapes on the Sunflower Opalescent blocks.
4. Score and break each wing shape shape, then use a Wheel Mosaic Nipper or 'Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦Ãƒâ€¦"" Breaker/Grozer to fine-tune each shape as needed. Position each wing against its respective butterfly body.
5. Repeat steps #1 and #2 using a Turquoise Blue Opalescent block to create 2 additional butterfly bodies. Once cut, position onto glass.
6. Repeat steps #3 and #4 using Orange Opalescent blocks to create 8 additional butterfly wings. Once cut, position onto glass.
7. Accent each Sunflower Opalescent wing with pieces of Medium Blue Opalescent Coarse Frit.
8. Accent each Orange Opalescent wing with pieces of Sunflower Opalescent Coarse Frit.
9. Secure each butterfly in place with pinpoints of Glas Tac.
10. Add slight texture to the project by lightly sprinkling Clear Transparent Fine Frit in the background area.
11. Use a small paintbrush to clear off any Frit on each butterfly surface. Lightly spritz the project with hairspray.
12. Use a wire cutter or jewelry nippers to cut 2 equally-sized pieces of High Temp Alloy Wire, then mold each wire piece into a teardrop shape.
TIP: To easily achieve consistent wire loop shapes, wrap the wire several times around your finger or a rod-shaped object, like making a tight spring and then cut. Since you will be making two loops in the same shape, cut the wire slightly longer than needed. Wrap the wire around the rod-shaped object, slip off the coils and then cut to receive multiple loops of the same size.
13. Position the 2 teardrop-shaped wire loops near each corner of the glass piece. Overlap the bottom point of each wire loop with a Clear Transparent Bit to sandwich the wire loops between two pieces of glass. Secure with Glas Tac.
14. Allow project to dry. Contour fuse using the Spectrum 6 segment firing.
15. Once fired, hang your project by attaching a beaded wire string to each wire loop.
| Click here to view and download the Image! || |
| Click here to download the Technique Sheet PDF! |