Bisque Imports / Fun in the Sun Technique Technique Sheet
Fun in the Sun Technique Technique Sheet
Design courtesy of Bisque Imports
The Fun in the Sun project teaches Detail Writer techniques while creating a fun plate with Dolphin hooks. This project can be adapted to fit your studio or school classroom. Use a different plate, Mighty Tot or slogan to make the theme appealing to your customers or students.
9630 Detail Writer Bottles 9636 Medium Writer Bottle Tip 9637 Large Writer Bottle Tip 9591 Paint Dotters Large Fan Brush Transfer Paper
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
1. Prepare Bisque - Clean bisque with a sponge and water.
2. Create Design - Use the Transfer Paper to trace the Fun in the Sun design onto your Sushi Plate (or sketch a design of your own with pencil).
3. Apply Prep Coat - Use the Large Fan Brush to apply a thin coat of Really White on top of the Sushi Plate so you can still see your design (Adding a base coat will make the Detail Writers easier to use).
4. Outline Design - Use a Detail Writer with a Medium Tip and Black color to trace the outline of your design starting with the letters first.
5. Color in Design - Fill the other Writer Bottles with the desired colors. Use a Large Writer Tip to color in your outlines starting with the letters first. Tip: If you are right handed its best to work from left to right to avoid smudging.
6. Sand Technique - Dab a Paint Dotter into Light Ginger than onto the Sushi Plate to fill in the sand. Use the edge of the Paint Dotter to fill in the corners.
7. Add Border - Use a Large Fan Brush to apply a thin coat of Bright Caribbean around the border. Add spirals in Bright Delft using the Detail Writers.
8. Paint Might Tots - Paint the Dolphin Mighty Tots using Light Blue Spruce. Add details with the Black Detail Writer.
9. Glaze and Fire - Glaze each Dolphin hook separately then set on glazed Sushi Plate in the kiln so the pieces will fuse together (You can also use French Dimensions to temporarily hold the Dolphin Hooks in place before firing).