Assorted Decorating Tools Assorted Paintbrushes Cardboard or Parchment Paper Paper Towels Water Wooden Skewer
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
1. Cut and roll out a slab of clay approximately 1/2" thick onto a sheet of cardboard or parchment paper.
2. Use an angled modeling tool - such as a wooden skewer - to cut out a rectangle plaque shape. Once cut, remove and place excess clay aside.
TIP: Use your finger to smooth out edges with water.
3. Roll out excess clay flat - approximately 1/4" - 1/2" thick. Use excess clay to cut out a large letter shape of your choice.
4. To attach the letter to the plaque shape, score cross-hatch grooves onto each joining surface. For example, score the underside of the letter and the plaque area on which the letter will be positioned. Once scored, apply a layer of watered down clay to each scored surface and attach the the pieces together. Once the letter is attached to the plaque shape, use your finger to blend the shapes together with water.
5. Use a cylinder shaped object like a thick marker or an assortment of decorating tools to create texture accents on each corner of the plaque.
6. Once clay is dry, use an assortment of Cover Coat paints to paint the project.
7. To create this project, paint the plaque background with 3 coats of Neon Green. Paint the letter shape with 3 coats of Neon Orange. Add large Neon Red dots to accent the plaque border.
8. Allow project to dry completely for 5-7 days, or until clay is no longer cool to the touch.
9. Fire the completed project to cone 04.
10. Once fired, dip project in Pure Brilliance and fire to cone 06.