Assorted Royal Aqualon Brushes Detail Brush Flat Sponge Pencil Scissors Textured Sponge Thin Permanent Marker Tissue Paper Water
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
1. Lightly wipe ware with a damp sponge to prepare surface for painting.
2. Print the provided template. Place tissue paper over the template image and lightly trace the masquerade mask with a pencil. Then, position tissue paper on plate surface. Slowly trace the mask image again with a thin marker. Once finished, lift up tissue paper to reveal the transferred image.
3. With a textured sponge, sponge the plate surface with Dark Straw.
4. Cut out a diamond shape from a flat sponge. Soak the sponge in water, then squeeze out the excess. Dip the sponge into Bright Butternut, then again on a separate surface to remove excess paint. Use sponge to create four columns of diamonds across plate. Re-apply paint to sponge when needed.
5. If needed, trace the mask image once again with a pencil to make the image more noticeable.
6. Paint the ribbons with 3 coats of Bright Grape.
7. Alternate using 3 coats of Bright Caribbean and 3 coats of Green Apple to paint each feather.
8. Fill in the mask with 2-3 coats of Dark Black.
9. With a detail brush and Dark Black, outline each feather.
10. Use a pencil to sketch out "Mardi Gras" above the mask. With a detail brush and 3 coats Neon Red, trace over the words.
11. Below the mask, sketch out "Let the good times roll.". Trace over the words with a detail brush and Dark Black.
12. Paint small dots along top and bottom rim using Bright Grape, Bright Caribbean, Neon Red, and Green Apple. Let dry.