Assorted Paintbrushes Contact Paper Scissors Small Pin Water Water-based Marker
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
1. Lightly wipe ware with a damp sponge to prepare surface for painting.
2. Sketch and cut out two eye circles and triangle teeth shapes from contact paper. Remove the protective backing, then firmly adhere each shape cut-out to the mug surface to create the monster face design.
3. Paint the outside mug surface and handle with 3 coats of Neon Green. Allow paint to dry completely.
4. Hold mug by the handle. Using Bright Caribbean, or a mix of colors of your choice, splatter paint the mug surface. To splatter paint, generously load your paintbrush with paint, then flick your wrist to achieve each splatter line. Repeat as desired. Once complete, allow paint to dry completely.
Tip: To allow for ultimate creative freedom with minimal mess, have campers complete the splatter portion of the project against a cardboard box backdrop. The cardboard liner that comes with soft drinks works well.
5. Once dry, remove each contact paper shape from the mug surface.
6. Paint the eyes of the monster using 3 coats each of Neon Orange (iris) and Dark Black (pupil).
7. Use a small brush and Dark Black to outline the teeth and to paint the mouth line. Let dry.
8. Paint the inside of the mug with 3 coats of Neon Orange.
9. Once complete, allow project to dry completely, then dip in Pure Brilliance and fire to Cone 06.