Design courtesy of Bisque Imports
Cute and functional, this clay wall pocket is a great addition for any bedroom, office, craft room or play area. Keep track of your treasured knick-knacks, or display some fresh flowers!
For step-by-step photos and additional project information, download the PDF!
7825A Versa Clay
CC143-16 Cover Coat Yellow Orange
CC146-16 Cover Coat Purple
CC205-16 Cover Coat Neon Green
CC206-16 Cover Coat Neon Red
PB26398 Pure Brilliance Dipping Glaze
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
1. Cut and roll out two small slabs of clay approximately 1/2" thick each onto a sheet of parchment paper.
2. Use an angled modeling tool - such as a wooden skewer - to cut out two pocket shapes, one shape slightly larger than the other. Once cut, remove and place excess clay aside.
TIP: Use your finger to smooth out edges with water.
3. Use an assortment of decorating tools to create texture accents on the project, if desired.
4. To attach the the pocket shapes together, score cross-hatch grooves along the edges. Once scored, apply a layer of watered down clay to each scored surface and attach the the pieces together. Add a bundled sheet of paper in between the two pieces to create the pocket. Once each piece is attached, use your finger to mold and blend the edges together with water.
5. Roll out excess clay flat - approximately 1/4" - 1/2" thick. Use excess clay to cut out and create a flower, then attach the flower to the wall pocket.
6. Once clay is dry, use an assortment of Cover Coat paints to paint the project.
7. To create this project, paint the pocket surface with 3 coats of Yellow Orange. Paint the flower center with 3 coats of Neon Red. Paint each petal with 3 coats of Purple, and the leaf with 3 coats of Neon Green. Accent project as desired.
8. Allow project to dry completely for 5-7 days, or until clay is no longer cool to the touch.
9. Fire the completed project to cone 04.
10. Once fired, dip project in Pure Brilliance and fire to cone 06.