Assorted Paintbrushes Detail Brush Pen Scissors Water Waterbased Marker
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
1. Lightly wipe ware with a damp sponge to prepare surface for painting.
2. Blend Bright Purple, Bright Caribbean, and Neon Blue to paint the plaque surface.. To blend, paint the bottom of the plaque with 1 coat of Bright Purple, the middle portion with Bright Caribbean, and the top portion with Neon Blue. Use a large, damp brush to blend the colors. Repeat 2-3 additional times, blending the colors after each coat. Once complete, allow plaque surface to dry completely.
3. Cut out the shell design template and a piece of Saral Transfer Paper that fits to the template size. Position the Saral Transfer Paper sheet, red side down, onto the plaque with the printed template on top. Secure in place with Art Tape, if needed.
4. Trace over the shell design image with a pen, then remove template and Saral paper to reveal transferred design.
5. Paint the base of the shell with 3 coats of Neon Blue.
6. Paint the area around the traced shell design, including the edges and backside of the plaque, with 3 coats of Dark Grape. Let dry.
7. Once dry, use a detail brush and 1-2 coats of Dark Grape to trace over the accent lines within the shell shape. Begin each brushstroke at the top of the shell, then brush downwards.
TIP: For added flow and longer brushstrokes, add a few droplets of water to the paint on your palette to lightly water down the color.
8. Allow project to completely dry, then in the center of the heart-shaped shell, use a waterbased marker to sketch out "mermaid at heart." Trace over each letter using a detail brush and Dark Black.
TIP: Love this font? Use the same transfer technique detailed in step #3 and the provided template to trace this lettering design onto your own project. You can even reuse the same sheet of Saral Transfer Paper!
9. Allow project to dry completely, then dip in Pure Brilliance and fire to Cone 06.