3/4" Royal Aqualon Wisp Brush 2735 Assorted Royal Aqualon Brushes Banding Wheel Paper Cups Pencil Sponge Water
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
1. Lightly wipe ware with a damp sponge to prepare surface for painting.
2. If painting the lips mug, thin down Bright Pink, Really Red, and Bright Purple in small paper cups with a small amount of water. If painting the mustache mug, thin down Dark Delft, Light Blue Spruce, and Bright Kelp in cups.
3. Place mug upside down on banding wheel. Using a large round Royal Brush, apply a generous amount of Bright Pink for lips or Light Blue Spruce for mustache.
4. Lips : Use the 3/4'' Royal Aqualon Wisp Brush to create striped effect. Load your brush with Really Red and Bright Purple, then pull the brush from bottom to top in Use Really Red and Bright Purple to wisp with.
Tip: Refer to "Wisp Brush Demo-Royal Brush Video" on our Royal Resources Page for better instruction on using the wisp brush.
5. Mustache : Use 3/4'' Royal Aqualon Wisp Brush to create a plaid effect. Using the brush, paint several vertical layers starting with the Bright Kelp, and then Dark Delft. Once you've finished your vertical stripes, create your plaid by repeating the steps horizontally. Tip: If you feel the colors get too dark, you can brighten your mug with Bright Kelp.
6. Once your background pattern feels dry to the touch, use a pencil to sketch lips or a mustache. Using a thin detail brush, fill in your sketch with either Really Red or Dark Black. To finish your design, outline with Dark Black.
7. Paint mug handle Really Red or Dark Delft.
8. Let dry. Dip in Pure Brilliance and fire to Cone 06.