Design courtesy of Bisque Imports
Create your own fused glass wind chime display using your favorite spectrum of colors!
951 12" Tile
AIA304 Wind Chime Display
CFI200F White Iridescent Frit
GBITSI/100 Clear Iridescent Bits
GBLOCK140.1 Pale Purple Transparent Blocks
GBLOCK151 Cherry Red Transparent Blocks
GBLOCK171 Orange Transparent Blocks
GBLOCK528-1 Sea Green Transparent Blocks
GBLOCK533-2 Blue Topaz Transparent Blocks
GBLOCK543-2 Grape Transparent Blocks
GBS8-100-ICE 8 In. Square Clear Transparent
N200-96 White Opalescent Noodles
S200-96 White Opalescent Stringers
SP-8234 Glas Tac
ST340 1" Running Pliers
ST352 Pistol Grip Glass Cutter
ST540 Thinfire Paper
ST952 (24 gauge) High Temp Stamen Wire
Assorted Royal Aqualon Brushes
Black Permanent Marker
Cut Angled Straw
Clear Elmer's Gel Glue
Wire or String
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
1. Use a ruler to measure out a 5" x 6.25" rectangle from the 8" clear glass blank. Mark dimensions with a black Sharpie marker.
2. Use a Pistol Grip Glass Cutter to score each line, then break each score with 1" Running Pliers.
3. Use a ruler and a marker to separate the rectangle base into 12 separate sections. See the template provided.
4. Score and cut colored triangular pieces to fill in each section on the clear blank. Use the following colors to fill in the sections: Pale Purple Transparent, Cherry Red Transparent, Orange Transparent, Sea Green Transparent, Blue Topaz Transparent, and Grape Transparent.
5. Position the cut triangular pieces to fill in each section on the rectangle base. Secure with pinpoints of Glas Tac. Set aside to dry.
6. Lay a piece of Thinfire Paper onto the bisque tile to create a portable fusing tile.
7. Using the colored glass scraps, score and cut out 2 triangle shapes from each transparent color to create the hanging glass pieces. Position each triangle onto the portable fusing tile.
8. Nip White Opalescent Stringers into smaller pieces. Arrange two stringer pieces onto each colored triangle piece. Secure with pinpoints of Elmer's clear gel glue.
9. Score and cut Clear Iridescent Bits in half to create 12 smaller triangles. Set aside.
10. For each hanging glass piece, cut out High Temp Stamen Wire pieces of equal lengths.
TIP: To create multiple wire pieces of the same size, wrap wire around your finger. Slide out your finger, then cut each ringed wire piece.
11. Mold each wire piece into a teardrop shape.
12. On the top edge (the shorter edge) of each triangle hanging glass piece, sandwich the wire in between the colored triangle base and a smaller Clear Iridescent bit triangle. Secure with pinpoints of Glas Tac. Set aside to dry.
13. On the rectangle glass base, nip White Opalescent Stringers and Noodles into smaller pieces. Position the pieces in scattered positions on the glass base, extending outwards from the center point. Secure with pinpoints of Elmer's clear gel glue or Glas Tac.
14. Use an angled straw to fill in the center point of the rectangle base with White Iridescent Fine Frit. Add addition lines of frit extending from the center point. Use a paintbrush to brush off any excess frit from the base. Secure frit with pinpoints of Glas Tac. Let dry.
15. Full fuse the rectangle base and each hanging glass piece using the 6 segment firing schedule.
16. Once fired, assemble the wind chime display. To insert the glass piece, open each tab, position within the metal frame, and then tighten each tab to secure the glass in place.
17. Secure wire or string through the wire loops on each hanging glass piece, then connect each piece to the rings along the bottom edge of wind chime display to hang. See the sample image for hanging glass piece and wire or string placement.