Assorted Paintbrushes Paper Towel Shaving Cream Saran Wrap (for easy clean-up) Squeegee or other flat object for smoothing cream Water Water-based Marker
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
1. Lightly wipe ware with a damp sponge to prepare surface for painting.
2. Dispense shaving cream onto a flat, easy-to-clean surface. Dispense enough to fill an area slightly larger than the tile. Smooth with a flat object. For a funkier look, you can leave the shaving cream as is.
3. Dispense Bright Sapphire and Neon Blue, plus a small amount of Neon Yellow, directly onto the shaving cream. Feel free to experiment with more colors!
4. Using the end of a paintbrush, gently swirl the paints into each other, being careful not to muddle the color.
5. Firmly press the tile into the shaving cream mixture. Twist the piece or reapply to add greater texture. Once done, gently lift the tile.
6. Using a small amount of water, gently rinse off the shaving cream to reveal your funky design. Be careful not to soak the bisque piece. Now, let your piece dry completely.
7. Once dry, sketch rolling hill line and the whimsical tree shape along the bottom edge of the tile. Use 3 coats of Dark Sapphire to paint the hilly background, and 3 coats of Dark Black to fill in the tree silhouette.
Add additional accents to the swirly sky with and to other areas of the project with Neon Yellow, then allow project to dry completely.
9. Once complete, dip project in Pure Brilliance and fire to Cone 06.