Sweet Tweets Technique Sheet
|This love bird sings the sweetest song perched daintily upon an awesome faux bois branch. Use this piece as the inspiration for your next class!
Design courtesy of Bisque Imports
This love bird sings the sweetest song perched daintily upon an awesome faux bois branch. Use this piece as the inspiration for your next Wine and Design style class!
113 Square Sushi Platter
9630 Detail Writer Bottle
9636 Detail Writer Tip Medium
CN074-8 Really Red
CN122-8 Bright Nautical
CN233-8 Dark Briarwood
CN244-8 Really White
CN302-8 Bright Caribbean
CN505-8 Neon Green
R2250-10 Aqualon Round #1
R2700-1/2 Aqualon Square Glaze/Wash 1/2 inch
R2850-4 Aqualon Fan Brush #4
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
| || |
1. Lightly wipe ware with a damp sponge to prepare surface for painting.
2. Trace the bird and branch template provided onto contact paper with a pencil. Cut out and apply to the piece, smoothing it out as you go to prevent air bubbles.
3. Add water to Bright Nautical and use a fan brush to apply two solid coats of wash to the Sushi Platter.
4. Freehand a collection of different sized hearts onto the platter. Arrange the hearts as if they were coming from the bird's beak! You could also cut the hearts out of contact paper or use heart-shaped stickers.
5. Once the wash is dry, remove the contact paper by lifting the edge with a straight pin.
6. Using a Round Brush, cover the bird with a 2-3 thick coats of Really Red.
7. While the bird dries, use the Round Brush to fill in the branch with a coat of Dark Briarwood. Allow the branch to dry for a couple of minutes, or until it is slightly tacky to the touch.
8. Now you're ready to create your faux bois look with sgraffito! Using the tapered end of a paint brush, carve lines into the branch. We used a combination of coils and lines to create what look like knots and ridges in the branch. Brush off any extra crumbles.
9. Using a detail writer, outline the bird in small white stitches. Repeat so the white shows up brightly on the red bird.
10. Fill detail writer bottles with the color hearts you desire. We used Really Red, Bright Nautical, Really White and Neon Green. Pool the colors to create raised hearts within the outlines you sketched.
11. Let dry. Glaze and fire to cone 06.
| Click here to view and download the Image! || || Click here to download the Technique Sheet PDF! |