Assorted Paintbrushes Paper Towel Pencil Shaving Cream Saran Wrap (for easy clean-up) Squeegee or other flat object for smoothing cream Water
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
1. Lightly wipe ware with a damp sponge to prepare surface for painting.
2. Dispense shaving cream onto a flat, easy-to-clean surface. Dispense enough to fill an area slightly larger than the letter. Smooth with a flat object. For a funkier look, you can leave the shaving cream as is.
3. Dispense small amounts of Red, Yellow, and Orange directly onto the shaving cream. Feel free to experiment with more colors!
4. Using the end of a paintbrush, gently swirl the paints into each other, being careful not to muddle the color.
5. Firmly press the letter into the shaving cream mixture. Twist the piece or reapply to add greater texture. Once done, gently lift the letter.
6. Using a small amount of water, gently rinse off the shaving cream to reveal your funky design. Be careful not to soak the bisque piece. Now, let your piece dry completely.
7. Sketch swirls on the letter with a pencil. Then, with 3 coats of Blue, paint the swirls to create the look of tie-dye.
8. Mix a quarter-sized drop of Yellow with a single droplet of Blue to create green. Use 3 coats of this color to accent the tie dye swirls. Let dry.
9. Use Black to add peace sign designs, or other unique designs to your tie dye letter. Allow project to dry completely.