Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
1. Lightly wipe ware with a damp sponge to prepare surface for painting.
2. Sketch an assortment of simple, floral designs onto the platter surface with a waterbased marker. If needed, use the template provided as a guide when tracing or sketching your own unique design.
3. On your palette, dilute the assortment of underglaze paints with small amounts of water to create diluted color washes.
TIP: The more water you use, the lighter the color.
4. With a round brush, brush on your choice of color wash - one color at a time - to fill in the various flower designs. Apply color with loose, wavy brushstrokes.
TIP: For this project, we used Light Butternut, Dark Papaya, Bright Purple, and Neon Coral color washes to fill in the floral design areas.
5. Dilute Neon Green and Bright Kiwi onto your palette.
6. Use the diluted Neon Green color wash to fill in the leaf designs. For the leaves, apply color with loose, back-and-forth brushstrokes. The more natural the brushstrokes, the better!
7. Overlay the Neon Green tinted leaf designs with scattered accent brushstrokes of the diluted Bright Kiwi color wash. Let dry once complete.
8. Using a detail writer bottle, 20 gauge fine writer tip, and Dark Black, accent the floral designs with loose, wispy outlines. Add thick splotches to create each flower center. Add additional loose accent lines and dots to your design, if desired. Let dry once complete.
9. Paint the rim of the plate with 3 coats of Dark Grape, leaving the raised outer rim outline unpainted white.
10. Allow project to dry completely, then dip in Pure Brilliance and fire to Cone 06.