Design courtesy of Bisque Imports
Master your brushstrokes while creating this beautiful butterfly plaque!
1066 Butterfly Plaque
CN052-8 Bright Tangerine
CN142-8 Bright Aqua
CN191-8 Light Ivy
CN213-8 Dark Taupe
CN372-8 Bright Honeysuckle
R2595-4 Royal Aqualon Liner #4
RAQUA-DETAIL Royal Aqualon Liner Detail Brushes (10/0, 5/0)
RAQUA104 Royal Aqualon Round Detail Brushes (10/0, 5/0, 3/0, 0)
R2585-4 Royal Aqualon Script #4
TCW192s Mini Ginkgo Leaves - 6" X 6" Template
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
To watch our video on lettering and thin lines, click here.
| || |
1. Lightly wipe ware with a damp sponge to prepare surface for painting.
2. Sketch and cut out two medium leaf or flower shapes on contact paper. (We used The Crafter's Workshop Ginko Leaves stencil!) Place the 2 contact paper shapes, sticky side down, next to each other in the blank area to the right of the butterfly. Press down firmly to smooth any bubbles.
3. Use a textured sponge to sponge the entire plaque with Bright Aqua.
4. Use an assortment of round detail brushes (10/0, 5/0, 3/0, 0) to paint the butterfly using the colors Bright Tangerine and Bright Honeysuckle. Use the 10/0 round detail brush, the thinnest of the round detail brushes, to paint the antennas Dark Taupe. Leave some parts of the butterfly blank to feature the Bright Aqua background.
5. Use the Aqualon Script #4 brush and Light Ivy to paint a swirling border around the edge of the plaque. As you use the brush, vary your pressure to vary the thickness of the line. Once dry, carefully remove the contact paper shapes.
6. Use the Aqualon #4 Liner brush to make a thin outline around each shape left white by the contact paper. To create a thin line, keep pressure light and slightly wet the brush (if the brush is too wet, the paint will bleed on the surface). Use Bright Honeysuckle to outline the left shape and Bright Tangerine to outline the right shape.
7. Use the Aqualon 10/0 Liner brush to paint very thin horizontal stripes in one shape and vertical stripes in the other shape, each with the same color as its outline.
8. In the center of the area to the right of the butterfly, sketch out the name of your choosing. Use Dark Taupe and the Aqualon 5/0 brush to trace over the letters. To add accents to the lettering, switch to a smaller brush if needed. To accent the letters, we used the Aqualon 10/0 Liner brush. Let the piece dry completely.
9. Dip in Pure Brilliance and fire to Cone 06.
10. Once fired, use an assortment of colored wire to hang the plaque.