Earthy Vibes Technique Sheet
|This earthy fused glass project features a fossil vitra technique that uses organic materials to create natural leaf impressions.
Design courtesy of Bisque Imports
This earthy project features a fossil vitra technique that uses organic materials to create natural leaf impressions.
951 12" Tile
Assorted Fine Carolina Frit - Green shades
CF100C Clear Transparent Frit - Coarse
CF100F Clear Transparent Frit - Fine
GBS12-161 Yellow Glass Transparent Blank
GBS12-526-2 Moss Green Glass Transparent Blank
GL01 White Glassline Pen
SP-8234 Glas Tac
SS-829 Alta Vista
ST340 1" Running Pliers
ST352 Pistol Grip Glass Cutter
ST540 Thinfire Paper
Black Sharpie Marker
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
1. Use a ruler to measure out an 8" square on the Moss Green Transparent sheet glass. Mark dimensions with a black Sharpie. Use a pistol grip glass cutter to score each line, then break along each score with Running Pliers.
2. Position a sheet of kiln shelf paper onto the bisque fusing tile, then use a pencil to trace the glass base outline. Set aside.
3. On a paper towel, lightly spritz each leaf surface with hairspray. For this technique, flattened plant leaves work best. If needed, flatten leaves ahead of time.
4. Sprinkle an even layer of assorted Fine Carolina Frit over the leaf surfaces. Spritz again with hairspray.
5. Carefully transfer and position each leaf onto the fusing tile within the traced base outline. If needed, use a paintbrush to brush off any excess frit.
6. Position the Moss Green sheet glass onto the fusing tile, over the arranged leaves.
7. Transfer the fusing tile to the kiln, then full fuse using the Spectrum 6-segment firing schedule.
8. Following the initial firing, on the top surface of the project, create leaf outlines surrounding the colored impression areas using a White Glassline Pen. Allow project to dry.
9. Reposition kiln shelf paper onto the fusing tile.
10. Repeat step #1 to cut an 8" square from the Yellow Transparent sheet glass, then position onto the fusing tile.
11. Place the fired leaf project piece on top of the Yellow Transparent base in a diagonal manner, allowing the corners to slightly extend beyond the bottom glass edges.
12. Overlay the protruding Yellow Transparent corners with a layer of Clear Coarse Frit. Use tweezers, if necessary. Apply pinpoints of GlasTac to each filled corner to secure frit in place.
13. Disperse an even layer of Clear Fine Frit over the Moss Green project sheet. Brush off excess frit on the fusing tile with a paintbrush. Lightly spritz with hairspray to secure frit in place. Let dry.
14. Contour fuse using Spectrum's 6-segment firing schedule.
15. Following the second firing, drape the completed project over the Alta Vista drape mold.
| Click here to view and download the Image! || |
| Click here to download the Technique Sheet PDF! |