Place a photograph under a glass blank to use as a guide. Use realistic colors or go Warhol like this glass representation of Crista! Working in small sections while gluing frit to the blank allows you to obtain detail and keep frit in place.
Elmer's Gel Glue Q-tip (for spreading glue) Pump Hairspray
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
1. Select a photo of a face you want to copy. Size photo to fit glass blank.
2. Lay glass blank over photo.
3. Using one frit color at a time, spread glue with a q-tip in areas that you will add selected color.
4. Use a plastic spoon or straw scoop to apply frit over glue.
5. Select next color frit, and repeat steps 3 and 4.
6. When you are done adding frit, spray artwork with pump hairspray to seal frit in place.
7. Place project on piece of Thinfire and set in kiln.
8. Tack Fuse project according to firing program in the Warm Glass Training Guide.
Cover large areas with frit using a plastic spoon. For smaller areas, use a straw scoop. To make a straw scoop, cut a plastic straw in half at an angle. The angled cut gives you a pointed tip for more accurately placing frit.