Silk screening the outlined design first makes painting a cinch!
8012 ¾" Art Tape FTSS-7 Fall/Thanksgiving Silk Screen GBLOCK-226-72 Lemongrass Opalescent Block (coming soon) GBLOCK2502 Red Opalescent Block GBLOCK271-71 Persimmon Opalescent Block 4GBS-6-200S-F 6" Square White Opalescent GM3002 Glass Medium 2 oz. RO2602-96 Yellow Opalescent Rods SSB101 Silk Screen Medium ST340 1" Running Pliers ST352 Pistol Grip Glass Cutter ST356 Wheel Mosaic Cutter
Elmer's Gel Glue Nipping Basket Pallet Knife Paper Towel Scissors Squeegee Thin Black Sharpie Water
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
1. Cut out the silk screen image, leaving a wide rectangle border around the image. Position onto glass, then secure using ¾" Art Tape. Use the art tape to mask any surrounding areas.
2. On a hard mixing surface, use a pallet knife to mix a spoonful of Silk Screen Medium with small amount of Glass Medium until you achieve a heavy cream consistency. Start with a few drops of Glass Medium and add as needed.
3. Use the pallet knife to spread the mixed Silk Screen Medium along one edge of the silk screen. Spread over the design using a squeegee.
TIP: When spreading the Silk Screen Medium over the design, keep the squeegee perpendicular to the glass surface rather than slanted.
4. Gently lift and remove the silkscreen and Art Tape. Immediately rinse the silkscreen off to remove any paint.
5. Use the Wheel Mosaic Cutter to cut 4 small Yellow Opalescent rod pieces for each corner. Use a small amount of Elmer's Glue to adhere to the project.
6. On a Persimmon Opalescent block, use a thin black sharpie to draw 4 differently-sized leaf shapes. Use a Pistol Grip Glass Cutter to score a line around each leaf shape, then cut out each leaf using the 1" Running Pliers.
7. Repeat step #6 on a Lemongrass Opalescent block to create 4 more leaf shapes, then on a Red Opalescent block to create 3 additional leaf shapes.
8. Position the leaf shapes extending outwards from each corner. Use 1 of each colored leaf for the top right, bottom left, and bottom right corners. Use 1 Persimmon and 1 Lemongrass leaf for the top left corner. Use Elmer's Glue to adhere each leaf shape to the project.
9. Let dry. Contour fuse using the Spectrum 6 segment firing. Slump as desired.