Design courtesy of Bisque Imports
Life is always what you make of it. So make it count, make it memorable, and most importantly, make it colorful.
2341 Sassy Plate Medium
8012 ¾" Art Tape
CN032-8 Bright Butternut
CN253-8 Dark Black
CN262-8 Bright Grape
CN302-8 Bright Caribbean
CN343-8 Dark Pink
CN372-8 Bright Honeysuckle
CN504-8 Neon Orange
CN507-8 Neon Red
CN512-8 Green Apple
FD254 Black Licorice
SSDTRENDY16 Day of the Dead Silk Screen
Assorted Royal Aqualon Brushes
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
1. Lightly wipe ware with a damp sponge to prepare surface for painting.
2. Position the sugar skull silk screen design in the plate center, then secure one side using ¾" Art Tape.
3. Apply a small amount of Black Licorice to your palette. Dip your finger in the French Dimensions color, then rub the color into small areas of the screen image at a time. Dab and smooth the paint into the screen until all areas are filled with color.
4. Once completed, gently lift and remove the silk screen and art tape. Immediately rinse the silk screen off to remove any glaze.
5. Using the template provided, trace the skull silhouette shape onto a piece of contact paper. Cut out the shape, remove the protective backing, then firmly adhere over the screened sugar skull design.
6. Paint the background of the plate with 3-4 coats of Bright Grape. Let dry. Once dry, remove the contact paper skull shape.
7. Around the eyes, fill in the inner flower petal with a detail brush and Dark Pink.
8. Fill in the outer flower petal with Bright Honeysuckle.
9. Fill in each eye and the teeth with 3 coats of Bright Butternut.
10. On the forehead area, fill in the innermost flower center ring with Dark Pink. Fill in the outer ring with Dark Honeysuckle.
11. Fill in the inner flower petals on the forehead with Neon Orange. Fill in the outer petals with Green Apple.
12. Along the side of the skull's head, fill in the upper triangle shapes with Bright Caribbean. Fill in the lower triangle shapes with Green Apple.
13. Fill in the nose with Bright Caribbean.
14. Fill in the heart between the eyes with Neon Red. Let dry.
15. Using a detail brush, add a rainbow border of small dots around the skull screen design with the following colors: Neon Red, Neon Orange, Bright Butternut, Green Apple, Bright Caribbean, Bright Grape, Dark Pink, and Bright Honeysuckle. Let dry.
16. Use a water-based marker to gently sketch above and below the skull design "Live life in color!". Use a detail brush and Dark Black to trace over the letters.
17. Use a detail brush and Dark Black to touch up any areas of the skull silk screen design, if needed. Let dry.
18. Dip in Pure Brilliance and fire to Cone 06.