Assorted Royal Aqualon Brushes Detail Brush Paint Dotter Painter's Tape Pencil Scissors Water
Click on the item numbers to see more about the products in this technique sheet, and to order the items for your project.
1. Lightly wipe ware with a damp sponge to prepare surface for painting.
2. Using painter's tape, cover the entire square center. Pay careful attention to creating straight edges in the corners.
3. Paint a thick coat of Bright Jade on the outer rim. Then paint a thick coat of Dark Honeysuckle on the inner rim. With a damp brush, blend the two colors together until no distinct line between can be seen. Let dry.
4. Paint over the entire rim, above the blended Bright Jade and Dark Honeysuckle, with Bright Briarwood.
5. Once the Bright Briarwood has lost a bit of its sheen, place the Mini Birds template onto the plate's surface. Determine which birds you would like to use for your project, and then position the template so each the branch extends beyond the edge.
6. Repeat this step to create more birds: As you press down on the stencil in order to flatten the image, use the angular end of a paintbrush to lightly scrape off the brown top coat. As a result, the Dark Honeysuckle and Bright Jade (as well as the white bisque surface) will again be visible.
7. Repeat Step 6 to sgraffito banner shapes on the plate surface.
8. Once you have each of your bird images and the banner stenciled onto the rim, use your hand to smoothen the paint and wipe off any excess paint particles.
9. Remove the painter's tape in the center of the plate. Then, gently smooth some of the dried Bright Briarwood paint onto the white surface. This will give the center square a slightly faded Bright Briarwood border.
10. Sketch a large curvy banner shape in the plate center. Dab your paintbrush to "sponge" a mix of Dark Honeysuckle and Bright Jade to fill in the shape.
11. Using a detail brush, outline the curvy banner with Bright Briarwood.
12. Use a pencil to sketch out "smitten" across the curvy banner, extending slightly beyond its edges. Fill in with a detail brush and Bright Briarwood.
13. Underneath the curvy banner, sketching first if needed, use a detail brush and Bright Grey to paint each partner's initial in different fonts, connected by an ampersand. Sketch and paint each partner's name underneath their initial using Bright Briarwood. On the bottom of the plate center, use Bright Jade and Dark Honeysuckle to paint the wedding date, if applicable.